Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound hard drives??

From: Eric Jernigan <eric.jernigan () PCC EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:17:57 -0700

Something to keep in mind about DoD 5220-22M: It is obsolete, just like that
OS-2 warp server sitting under that desk in the HVAC systems office. Back in
my secret squirrel days in the Air Force, We never used that standard (circa
1998). Our process was to turn in our drives to a central (secure) location
who in turn used a combination of high power (forget the gauss level)
degaussing, followed by physical destruction of the platters to nearly dust.
I guess currently according to one of my old contacts- THAT's not quite
enough.

It may be a labor pain and a half to recover an overwritten drive but the
info on the disc may be worth taking to a recovery shop, especially a "no
questions asked recovery shop" to pull data from the drive.

I still support Secure Erase myself. For users who are comfortable with it,
I recommend encrypting the disc (via true crypt/ bit locker), then deleting
as well as destroying the recovery disc.

Eric Jernigan
Information Security Manager,
Technology Solution Services
Portland Community College
PO Box 19000
Portland OR 97280-0990
503-977-4896
Eric.jernigan () pcc edu
http://www.pcc.edu/resources/tss/info-security/
and may contain sensitive or privileged information as well as information
covered by the Privacy Act, FERPA, HIPAA, and/or other laws. It is being
e-mailed as the most practical method of transacting business. As such, it
must be safeguarded. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited unless permission is obtained from the original
sender.