Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound hard drives??

From: Eric Jernigan <eric.jernigan () PCC EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:42:33 -0700

For the record: You can't pay me enough to try, so I haven't. But with
enough grant money...

The source I recommend trying (if you haven't already) is Ray Descoteaux at
the Center for Magnetic Recording Research (CMRR) for the UC San Diego
(rdesc () ucsd edu)

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Eric Jernigan
Information Security Manager,
Technology Solution Services
Portland Community College
PO Box 19000
Portland OR 97280-0990
503-977-4896
Eric.jernigan () pcc edu
http://www.pcc.edu/resources/tss/info-security/
and may contain sensitive or privileged information as well as information
covered by the Privacy Act, FERPA, HIPAA, and/or other laws. It is being
e-mailed as the most practical method of transacting business. As such, it
must be safeguarded. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited unless permission is obtained from the original
sender.