Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance question

From: Michael Sana <msana () HPU EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:09:09 -1000

Interesting question that brings up a few ideas:

*         You are using your "one card" system (heartland ?), but are the cards tied into the bank or not?  I suspect
if they are not, then they can be perceived to be just a smart card or a swipe card that only holds a "purse" so not
within scope of PCI.  However, in regards to  the "recharging" mechanism or process, if students have the ability to
add more money to their "one card" via credit card, that device/process has to be PCI compliant.

I am not a PCI expert, so take it for what its worth... :)

mike.sana.

Michael C. Sana MSIA, CISSP, CISM, CISA
Information Security Officer
Information Technology Services Division

Hawai`i Pacific University
1132 Bishop St. Suite 307
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813
Telephone: (808) 687-7034
Fax: (808) 544-1404
Email: msana () hpu edu<mailto:msana () hpu edu>

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"