Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance question

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:57:51 -0400

I am not a PCI expert, but I have been up to my eye balls in PCI stuff for a while :-)

If you are not accepting CC, then the fact that the miss guided person sticks his card in your device does not put that
device in scope for PCI.

If someone were to swipe their Visa card in your controlled access door swipes, and this were the case, then every door on your campus would suddenly become in scope for PCI.

The ultimate responsibility for PCI belongs to the organization that owns the MID for the account that will receive the income from that transaction - since there is no MID (Merchant ID) attached to your vending machines, there can be no PCI compliance.

In my opinion, I believe, and any other disclaimer :-)

My 2 cents

Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel