Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wi-Fi student administrative system

From: Jeff Holden <JHolden () MTSAC EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:57:05 -0700

SSL isn't enough in my opinion to protect administrative systems.  Their
have been enough weaknesses in SSL show that it shouldn't be relied on as
the only means of security.  Attacks such as SSL strip are hard to detect
and not to mention the MD5 collision attack that could allow someone to
create a bogus CA and the null prefix attack.

Thanks,
Jeff Holden, CISSP, RHCE
Manager, Network & Data Security
Mt. San Antonio College

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |"Shalla, Kevin" <kshalla () UIC EDU>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |08/31/2010 09:50 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Re: [SECURITY] Wi-Fi student administrative system

| Sent by:   |

  |The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>

Doesn't ssl protect against a hostile network in this situation?  Or is it
still subject to man-in-the-middle or other attacks?