Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wi-Fi student administrative system

From: "Solem, Vik P." <Vik.Solem () TUFTS EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:59:01 +0000

It's my understanding that Massachusetts law prohibits the transmission of personal data of any Massachusetts resident
over any unencrypted wireless networks.  I like that as a starting point, but my personal preference is for high-value
data to be more protected than other data, including defense-in-depth measures such as no-wireless-access, at least not
unless the connections are further encrypted (e.g. via VPN).  A few minutes on youtube can provide numerous examples of
how to break wireless encryption with free tools.

Just my opinion.

-Vik