Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Streaming Sign Language Service Security Concerns

From: "Consolvo, Corbett D" <cc72 () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:40:39 -0500

                Has anyone had good experiences (or suggestions) regarding offsite streaming sign language services for
students in class?  We are looking in to vendors for this and so far our experience has been that they expect the
laptop being used to have a static public IP address (perhaps a static NAT) with a default allow on the perimeter
firewall  (allow all protocols to the laptop.)  Our conversations with companies regarding security concerns have not
gone well.  They do not seem to feel that exposing the student's laptop in this way is a problem.  We have been hoping
to at least narrow the firewall scope down to a few sources instead of the entire Internet or perhaps use a small
appliance with a much smaller risk footprint that would not need access to the rest of our internal network.
Thanks!
Corbett Consolvo
Texas State University