Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Logon Disclaimer

From: Gina Mieszczak <gmieszcz () IIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:37:40 -0500

I'm working on revisions of ours:  but this is what I have:

D. Each User is responsible for taking reasonable care for the security of
his or her campus account and password. For example, one should change his
or her password frequently; one should not under any circumstances give his
or her password to another person. Users are not to store their passwords in
scripts, macros, web browsers, batch files, function keys, text or word
files where they can be used by an unauthorized user.  Password should not
be written down.  Each User must also recognize that the university has
limited means of preventing unsolicited communications from within and
outside of the university network. Users who receive threatening or
inappropriate communications should bring them to the attention of the
appropriate network administrator, General Counsel Office, Office of Human
Resources or the Office of Student Affairs.

If anyone has additional suggestions, please let me know.

Also - and I felt this was important, my research on policies showed that
you should put in a disclaimer about the policy effective date/duration -
until the user/student terminates their association

with the University.  (This goes for staff too-so this makes sense in our
case.)

Also - If you are looking to rewrite AUP and would like some good references
that I used, please let me know off-list and I will give you what I have.

Gina

Gina Mieszczak

Network Security Administrator

Email:  <mailto:gmieszcz () iit edu> gmieszcz () iit edu

Phone: 312.567.3879

Fax: 312.567.5968

  _____