Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: iPad and access to university ERP

From: John Hoffoss <john.hoffoss () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:48:25 -0500

Yes, the issue here isn't, strictly speaking, the client. Clients have different capabilities, but Windows XP (Terminal
Services in Windows Server) have configurable levels of encryption requirements, configurable via group policy. The
encryption algorithm is RC4. If you allow "Client Compatible" encryption on the desktop, your users are able to connect
via RDP using any client, iPad, iPhone, Linux, whatever, using a 40-bit key. Mr. Kletnieks challenged whether this was
good enough, and I'd say the answer can only be answered by the admin and their risk management process. It very well
may be good enough for Ms. Rowe's users. It would be for many of mine, but not for myself or any of my administrators.
But given a better client that supports a 128-bit key, several of which have been mentioned by others, that may be
sufficient.

Also note that the Wyse PocketCloud app claims "FIPS support", which indicates to me their marketing department wrote
that. I did a quick search and could not find PocketCloud of any version on the FIPS-validated products list
(http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140val-all.htm).

-jth