Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: iPad and access to university ERP

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:25:16 -0400

To take this discussion down a different road .. our findings are that the weak point of this process is the passwords that people us to secure their RDP sessions.

Right now, there are 12 IPs scanning our campus looking for RDP sessions to launch a brute force attack against.

We recommend at least 15 character passwords (usual caveats, upper, lower, numbers, no dictionary words, etc.)

I wouldn't worry so much about someone sniffing the pages flying thru the air .. I would worry more about them planting
a key logger on the base machine :-)

My 2 cents.

Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel