Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Are users right in rejecting security advice?

From: Eric Case <ecase () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:02:34 +0000

Your assumption is users can make an informed choice.  My assumption is users will not inform you of the deviation from
current policy.  If your security governance allows users to make the choice, than so be it.  The institution has
accepted the risk the users will make the wrong choice.  If this is not the case then users should not be making the
choice.

It has been my experience that users will choose the lower cost and higher risk option because the risk is an
externality to them.
-Eric

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T