Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Are users right in rejecting security advice?

From: Patrick Ouellette <ouellep () ALGONQUINCOLLEGE COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:44:59 -0400

But there has to be a known/viable buy-in from management - we've got a situation here where the policy is so lose you
could drive a Mac truck through it sideways and not hit a bloody thing because of lack of support over time from
Management. It goes further than that, but it contributed to it badly.

And, if on top of that the consequences are illogical, impossible to enforce or known to never have been applied, the
whole document is worth less than the paper it's printed on... Case of perception of "well, why not - the likelyhood
something will be done is obviously low".
I constantly amazes me what people think they can get away with (or at least try) until they get that smack-on-the-hand
reaction.

On the other hand, I completely agree with the "make sense" part - for users to buy into it, it has to be clear where
the line is and what the limits are.

But even with education, training and repetition, we all know there are some "users" who will do what they want
regardless.
So one suggestion that was made from an external source was to have the "New Employee Guidance" course have that info
it, and have a sign-in list.

That way, when they say "but I didn't know", you take out the sheet and can say "gee, it was covered in the course you
took on x/y/x. I guess you didn't take it seriously and/or were sleeping that day?" :)

Sincerely,

Patrick Ouellette
Algonquin College - School of Advanced Technology
Program Coordinator: Computer Systems Technician & Technology - Networking / Security Programs
Professor - Computer Studies Department