Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Are users right in rejecting security advice?

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:45:25 -0700

 I agree, policies are one way the institution makes a definitive statement on acceptable levels level of risk. The
ideal situation is where the choice an employee makes vis-à-vis security compliance is whether or not to comply with
college policy. Failure to comply may mean an ineffective policy, or may lead to opportunities for correction. Thus,
while employees need to be a part of the policy development process, once the institution has collectively made a risk
avoidance decision, it then becomes a compliance issue.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College
Office: 520-206-4873