Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Neil Gaede <neil () STTHOM EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:49:48 -0600

+1 to both. We do the same thing, only without the Jesuits so much. ;) (We're a Basilian school.) In most cases, if we want something to have a straightforward, logical-ish name for outside use we'll just create an alias for it.

Our VMWare ESX boxes are named after the 7 dwarves - we're only up to 4 right now, but if we end up using up all 7 I'll probably start making some up.

Our disaster recovery boxes are all prefixed with DR and a "famous" doctor's name. Like DR-McCoy, DR-Quinn, DR-Octopus, etc.

Neil Gaede
Systems Administrator
University of St. Thomas - Houston