Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discoverability of expired tapes?

From: "Hudson, Edward" <ewhudson () CSUCHICO EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:30:01 -0800

We just dealt with this issue last month. In brief:

*         We also have a two week "limit." GC felt that would not likely stand up to court scrutiny and recommended
something more along the lines of 30 days but nothing has been mandated or set to policy.

*         We have encrypted backup tapes (not from Exchange) that we are no longer in possession of the password for
(due to a change in technology)and are thus non-recoverable. We were still advised to keep them as is pending court
review and determination.

Net: 200+ tapes are sitting in a locked cabinet till the folks in the black robes pass judgment on what is to be
provided to opposing counsel.
"YMMV" and local law prevails but we chose to defer to GC rather than try and make the call ourselves in any area that
wasn't abundantly clear cut.  Working closely with the assigned attorney was extremely beneficial and we all came away
comfortable that we had positioned the campus as optimally as possible.
Hope this helps.

Ed Hudson, CISM
Information Security Office
California State University, Chico