Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discoverability of expired tapes?

From: "Harry E Flowers (flowers)" <flowers () MEMPHIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:52:18 -0600

If you have a d2d backup solution that is configured to be a virtual tape library, that's how they generally work.  We
have ours set up as an NFS share so we're dealing with the tar files and the backups live inside a single file instead
of being spread out among tape image files.  Unfortunately, if you have some NDMP requirements, you're stuck with a VTL
for your d2d backups.  I understand that later versions of the NDMP standard and Backup Exec can have the backup server
be the virtual tape library and then write to the d2d or physical tape from there, but that's only from what we've
heard, not what we've implemented.

With Backup Exec, the tapes are returned to the scratch pool and the backup catalog info is deleted.  Technically, the
data could still be on one or more tapes, but Backup Exec doesn't have them cataloged to retrieve the information
anymore after the expiration date.  The disk tar files are deleted on the d2d backup system, so they're "less
retrievable".
--
Harry Flowers
Manager, Systems Software