Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discoverability of expired tapes?

From: "Jones, Dan" <Dan.Jones () UMASSMED EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:47:00 -0500

Any data that exists is discoverable under a litigation hold or a
document production demand. This can be contextual, and I've seen
instances where going back to archived tapes was seen as "undue burden".

With data retention schedules, the most important element can be making
sure the data are destroyed at the correct time. If policy says that the
backup expires after 14 days, there should be a standard, documented
process to destroy data at the end of the retention window. Allowing
this to go unaddressed and later playing catch-up (in many
circumstances) can be interpreted as destroying evidence.

To support this, either the Exchange tapes should be done as a separate
batch so they can be degaussed/destroyed, or the tape backup system
should be capable of deleting data after a pre-set duration and
generating a report to that effect.

If a litigation hold is placed on your organization, then data
destruction must stop until the evidence has been harvested and the
litigation has been completed. Anything held on user's disks or personal
mailboxes still discoverable, as are any backup tapes/disks/etc.

In a litigation, the attorneys typically negotiate a list of search
terms and data custodians. Communicating the terms of a lit hold to any
employees who hold relevant (custodians) data is very important (for
data preservation as well as for organizational indemnification).

Always best to consult General Council, however this material is still
new to many attorneys.

Hope this is helpful.

Dan Jones

Information Security Officer