Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discoverability of expired tapes?

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:21:04 -0500

I also advise people to review their backup to disk systems to verify how
they handle expiration.  In an earlier version of Backup Exec, their backup
to disk was made to exactly mimic tapes.  You decided how many "tapes" you
wanted to create on your disk and when a "tape" expired, the file wasn't
deleted off the disk, it was kept until the "tape" was overwritten in the
backup cycle.  I don't know why they chose such a literal imitation of tapes
on disk (maybe to minimize the amount of new code required) and I don't know
if any of the backup applications work this way anymore.

Brad Judy

Emory University