Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discoverability of expired tapes?

From: David Escalante <david.escalante () BC EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:44:23 -0500

Totally agree with Joel's response (Joel, does that use up my quota for
2010 already? ;-)  )
--
David Escalante
Boston College

Joel Rosenblatt wrote:
IANAL

In theory, if the data is available, you need to provide it, the question is - does it show up in your backup system as
available, or are you taking
"extraordinary measures" to see that the data is there (similar to undeleting  the file system that has been just
deleted, not wiped)

If you can just do a restore using the normal commands available from your backup system, then I would say you have to
provide the data, if it's the second
scenario, then you need to go to your GC, explain the situation and do whatever they tell you to do :-)

My 2 cents .. in any case, I would talk to your GC