Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mass E-mail to Students, Staff, and Faculty

From: Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:05:06 -0600

We have various listservs set up to send information to faculty, staff,
faculty/staff, adjuncts,all students, freshmen,
sophomores,juniors,senior, graduate students, etc.  Only certain people
are allowed to send to these listservs.  General announcements to
everyone are sent out from our Communications/Marketing office with
their approval.

We also send emails to select groups of people that are not covered by
the listservs.  Central IT selects the people for the mass email from
our administrative system based on the requirements of the mass email
and sends them out.

Jay Graham wrote:
Folks,

I know this is not exactly a security topic, but does have security
implications. We are still getting pressure from University
organizations to use email as a medium to contact Faculty, Students, and
Staff.  We have sort of a defacto policy in place that requires approval
from an executive office before we allow it.

A copuple of questions I have are:

1. Does your school allow the use of Mass e-mail?

2. Do you require approval and from whom?

3. Do you have a tool that the requester(s) can use to send it
themselves or does central IT send it for them?

Thanks,
Jay Graham
University of Pittsburgh

--