Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mass E-mail to Students, Staff, and Faculty

From: Conor McGrath <conormc () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:58:59 -0600

Here's how we handle this at the University of Chicago:

http://nsit.uchicago.edu/services/bulkmailselfservice/

-Conor

Jay Graham wrote the following, on 2/3/10 11:50 AM:
Folks,

I know this is not exactly a security topic, but does have security
implications. We are still getting pressure from University
organizations to use email as a medium to contact Faculty, Students, and
Staff.  We have sort of a defacto policy in place that requires approval
from an executive office before we allow it.

A copuple of questions I have are:

1. Does your school allow the use of Mass e-mail?

2. Do you require approval and from whom?

3. Do you have a tool that the requester(s) can use to send it
themselves or does central IT send it for them?

Thanks,
Jay Graham
University of Pittsburgh

--