Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discontinuing student email service

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:24:59 -0700

Chris asked in followup:
Thanks to all of the replies.  I guess one more question I should have asked, is that in cases where
people have both, how are you handling the naming conventions to help people keep their addresses straight?

We have a standard email alias format:  First.Last () usu edu which we allow all users to create and customize as
necessary.  For instance, mine is NOT Robert.Bayn () usu edu, and the several Aaron Andersons use initials and middle
names for distinction.  I'm surprised how many people go by their middle name exclusively, and don't even acknowledge
their first initial.  We have a separate but similar means of constructing the branded gmail account username from the
words of the user's name (including their designated "nickname") as recorded in our system of record ("Banner" here).
The names on the two email addresses do not have to match (mine don't).  As for keeping that difference straight, I
don't have to, because I log into both systems with my ID number and it associates the correct email address for me.

Furthermore, our standard email alias is also permanent, even though it is initially applied to the
employment-dependent exchange server account.  After I retire (or they get fed up with me) I can still have my email
alias pointed to my branded gmail account (or anywhere else).

Bob Bayn        (435)797-2396      Security Team coordinator
  Don't let hackers use your computer when you aren't.
  Turn off your computer at the end of your work day.
Office of Information Technology   at  Utah State University