Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discontinuing student email service

From: Terence Ma <Terence.Ma () TUN TOURO EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:04:53 -0800

Students/alumni have Google accounts (@nv.touro.edu/@nvalumni.touro.edu); faculty/staff are in-house with Exchange
accounts (@tun.touro.edu). The University email address is the official point of contact and is the only address to
which official University business is sent. If students want to forward their Google accounts to other personal
accounts, that's fine. However, none of the institutional mailing lists will accept emails from anything except
authorized and valid University accounts.

Our programs are primarily cohort-based full-time programs. Folks who are students and faculty/staff get a Google
student account and an Exchange account. We help them organize the two (usually forward Google to their Exchange
account).

Students working for the University do not get employee accounts unless they are a regular employee, in which case the
above applies. We have many cases where the student has been given access to the Departmental generic account (for
example, student.services () tun touro edu) for business reasons. The level of access (read only; able to respond/send
emails, etc.) is specified by the Department and access is managed through Exchange and Active Directory. The
Department makes the request for access for the student, the Department is required to verify that they are supervising
appropriate use of the account, and it is up to the Department to request termination of access. Departmental generic
accounts (just like all other accounts) change passwords at least once every 120 days or whenever the Department
administrator wants to change the password.

This actually has not been a frequent request. The more common request is for students to have access to some of the
Departmental shared drives and privileges to print to faculty/staff printers.

Best,

--
Terence P. Ma, Ph.D.
Chief Information Officer