Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Video Surveillance Requirements

From: Patrick P Murphy <pmurphy () NRAO EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:52:07 -0500

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:58:04 -0800, "Hudson, Edward"
   <ewhudson () CSUCHICO EDU> said:

Our campus has a new student recreation center, run by our Associated
Students.  The building has many surveillance cameras -- in the weight
room, exercise class rooms, cardio room, outside the locker room, etc.
Currently the facility has NO sign on the front door indicating that
the building is under video surveillance.

The AS is now interested in putting two of the video feeds on their
public website so that students can check to see how busy the facility
is, before they head over to work out.  The images are still (taken
every 3 seconds) and only about 2 inches square.  However, if you look
at the source code for the page you can navigate to the two cameras
and zoom in on the images. The website is open to the public at large,
not just the campus community.

What's clearly needed here is an extra layer between the cameras and the
public's viewing of them.  I could envisage a simple service (perhaps
not a cron job if it has to be every 3 seconds!) that copies the current
image to a location on a web server's DocumentRoot which is publicly
viewable.  That process could include blurring or image reduction.

Alternatively, a web service that the public can view which in turn runs
a server side app which *then* pulls the latest image from the camera
(presumably on an internal network), might work better.

It would probably take a skilled webtech a day's work to set up
something like that (maybe more, or less, depending on sophistication
level required).

You really don't want to cede control of surveillence cameras to the
internet :-)

Just my $0.02.

 - Pat

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Webmaster (East), Computing Security Manager
 http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/          http://chien-noir.com/maze.shtml
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813