Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Video Surveillance Requirements

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:30:06 -0700

Ed,

One thing you should keep in mind is whether someone could use your video
system to stalk another person, spy on them, etc.  Once you open the video
stream to non-campus people, you basically have no control over it.  Within
the campus you should be able to leverage existing policies on proper use,
but outside the campus community you really have no authority.  I would be
concerned over civil liability, so consult with an attorney and make sure
that you are not leaving the institution at risk should something happen.
At this point it can be argued that there is much confusion as to the level
of privacy one can expect in a quasi-public place like an exercise room that
only some people can use.  Beyond that, would you expect to have some
privacy in such a space if you find yourself alone?  We are in the process
of building a body of case law that can inform us as to what is reasonable
and permissible, civilly and criminally, when it comes to hidden
surveillance, so the question for any institution is whether they want to
potentially become a test case,

Ozzie Paez

SSE/SAIC

303-332-5363