Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stateful Perimeter Firewall

From: "Jones, Dan" <Dan.Jones () UMASSMED EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:17:09 -0400

We’ve done this with the exception that outbound ports are closed by default and openings have to be requested.
Outbound port 25 is allowed only via a mail gateway, and internal users have to relay their mail off of the mail-gate.

All P-to-P traffic is dropped at the perimeter. We do not have res halls, so there has not been much pushback in
support of academic freedom. For those with res halls, even if those have to remain open outbound, it would be
worthwhile to separate them from the administrative networks.

Administrative networks must have a business justification for port openings. We have a lot of business subnets with
highly regulated data, and those are managed more like Financial and Healthcare networks. It is important to document
why a port opening was created, and routinely reassess the justification and need –as those change over time.

We’re forming a security governance team where people can plead their case to have additional ports open. The team will
review the risk associated with having the port open for general use. This gets IT out of the gatekeeper role and
redirects network related risk management decisions to the business.

Currently external vendors must come through an SSL VPN, and my roadmap has us moving to Xceedium to manage vendor
access. This will allow us to provision vendor access to the box they need, and will disallow access to other devices.
It also restricts the vendor from using their box to gain access to other devices on the internal network.
http://www.xceedium.com

This is by no means comprehensive – but this is also a very active thread with lots of other good ideas/practices.

Best ‘O luck

Dan

Dan Jones, CGEIT, CISM

IT Security Manager