Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stateful Perimeter Firewall

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:25:33 -0400

A couple folks on my team have given this talk at Educause/SPC/MWRC, but in a nutshell we did this change a few years
ago.

Thanks to lots of up-front planning and closely working with the departments who had externally-facing services, we
ended up with a short-list of ports still permitted inbound, and the rest are default-denied.  Outbound is not
restricted except for things like SMTP which is only permitted from approved servers - a common spam-control tactic.

The cutover went as planned, in phases by campus network "region" (usually a building or two).  With no notable
exceptions, each time a cutover occurred the relevant IT manager would contact us the next day or so asking "well, when
are you going to throw the switch?"  No one noticed.

So, I'd say we got what we hoped for:  An extra layer of shielding from unsolicited traffic, with no adverse user
impact and negligible hindrance on deliberate traffic.  Oh, and a huge proportion of inbound traffic was unsolicited
(like 2/3 IIRC) and is now dropped at the border.

Note that the above was done as a single-border-for-all, and had to be relatively porous while at the same time having
some impact on non-business (e.g. research) traffic types.  Therefore, we're amidst our next phase which is to zone the
campus net so that research activities have a different border policy than does administration, students, etc.  Small
handful of zones covers it, permitting border permeability that best suits the audience in question, rather than
one-size-fits-all.