Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Priviledged ID Lockdown

From: Christopher Jones <Christopher.Jones () UFV CA>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:13:35 -0700

I am in the process of implementing RSA's SecurID for this purpose.
While not a privileged password management solution per se, it will add
an extra layer of security to the authentication process for our network
administrators.  It will also mean that they will need to log on to the
various systems they are responsible for using their own individual
accounts, thus providing some audit tracking.

Christopher Jones
IT Security Administrator
University of the Fraser Valley

Anand S Malwade <Anand.Malwade () SHU EDU> 10/12/2009 10:22 AM >>>

I am curious to know what technology/tools/process have other
universities implemented to lockdown and control use of privileged ID’s
( Administrator, Root etc ).

How frequently are passwords changed for these ID’s and who controls
them ( Security or sys admins )

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anand

Anand Malwade,
Information Security Officer,