Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stateful Perimeter Firewall

From: "Flynn, Gerald" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:17:09 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Dean Halter
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:11 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: [SECURITY] Stateful Perimeter Firewall

We are considering setting up our firewalls in a stateful, default deny
manner.  Our folks would be able to communicate out normally, but folks
on the outside would only be able to access resources for which there
were explicit exceptions.  Anyone else doing this that might give us
pointers on what we need to do in advance and what to watch for?  Is it
problematic for certain types of software – p2p, grid, etc.?  Is this,
as some of our folks say, too corporate?

Some may argue that desktop management or system access controls and audits
are too corporate. :) It depends upon what compromise between risk and
convenience/efficiency/functionality you're willing to accept. :)

We converted to a TCP default deny policy in November of 2005 using router
ACLs. We're getting ready to move policy enforcement from router ACLS
to a stateful firewall adding coverage for UDP and other protocols.

Traffic analysis prior to the change and communications with those possibly
effected are the most important steps to take to ensure a successful and
well thought of project. People need to understand you're not denying
them access. You're just not exposing everyone when only a small percentage
need exposure. Those that need the exposure need just request it.

You might find some of these old threads interesting:

http://listserv.educause.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S2=SECURITY&q=&s=default+deny&f=&a=&b=