Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Stateful Perimeter Firewall

From: Dean Halter <Dean.Halter () NOTES UDAYTON EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:10:33 -0400

We are considering setting up our firewalls in a stateful, default deny
manner.  Our folks would be able to communicate out normally, but folks on
the outside would only be able to access resources for which there were
explicit exceptions.  Anyone else doing this that might give us pointers
on what we need to do in advance and what to watch for?  Is it problematic
for certain types of software – p2p, grid, etc.?  Is this, as some of our
folks say, too corporate?

Thanks in advance,
Dean Halter
IT Risk Management Officer
University of Dayton

"Security is a process, not a product."  Bruce Schneier