Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

MS Exchange and iPhones

From: STEVE MAGRIBY <magriby () UT EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:14:21 -0400

We have had an open case with Microsoft to resolve an issue with iPhones
trying to sync with Exchange email when the user's mailbox is full and
he/she can no longer send or receive mail.

We have a front end server (OWA) that shows an "Active Sync" error (code
3005). However, the iPhone continues to try receiving mail (every couple
of seconds) from the back end server (where the mailbox is located). The
iPhone, unlike other mobile devices, does not recognize the signal that
the server sends back and continues to try retrieving email from the
back end server. The impact on the back end server has a drastic impact
on performance, literally bring the local mail queue to a halt.

Has anyone else been dealing with this issue? We still haven't received
a solution to this problem other than the suggestion to open up the
student's mailbox so that the limit doesn't get reached.

Thanks.