Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty Acceptance of Security Awareness Education?

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:07:21 -0500

We've rolled a security awareness module into our Faculty Development
Institute (www.fdi.vt.edu). The FDI provides training on a wide variety of
IT related teaching, research and general use tools for our faculty.
Embedding in these modules is a 30 minute section on computer security
awareness. We've been able to cycle through our entire faculty over the past
5 years. These presentations have spurred additional presentations at the
request of the faculty. For example, the English Dept. head requested more
detailed presentation on searching for sensitive data. Our followup
presentations were attended by the entire department faculty and staff over
3 sessions.

If you build it, they will come.....

Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office