Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Justifying the move from Novell to AD

From: Christopher Jones <Christopher.Jones () UFV CA>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 08:15:47 -0800

Hi Todd,

Thank you and your higher-ups for the insight and advice.  It all helps.

Christopher Jones

"Dergenski, Todd A." <TDergens () ODU EDU> 11/5/2009 5:22 AM >>>
Hello All:
   We are in the middle of a Novell to AD Migration with Exchange and Sharepoint thrown in for fun.  I asked one of the
higher ups your question and this is his response:

"My comments would be mixed.  Now that we are 75% through the migration it is easy to reflect back on things we looked
at and things we should have done differently.

It is blatantly apparent that Novell has far superior tools and services with respect to printing and environment
management at a better cost. The greatest issue or benefit to a migration is integration/management with/of other
application systems whether it is Exchange, Enterprise Vault, Communicator, SharePoint etc. If you don't intend on
using all those and more, you should rethink your migration. The TCO will be in those areas. The kicker to the
Microsoft world is the farther you go down that rabbit hole, the worse it gets.  Our Microsoft rep once stated that MS
codes for 80% of full implementation and relies on third party vendors for the other 20%.  I believe him now.

For anyone that is thinking of migrating, these would be places to use care and develop extreme detail:
DDNS implementation
Printing Environment and Driver deployment / standards
Application replacement/transitioning
Desktop Migration - user environment, services
Communications to Community!!"

Please feel free to give me a call or shoot me a mail if you want more details.

Todd Dergenski
Old Dominion University
Senior Security Administrator
4700 Elkhorn Ave - Room 4300