Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Justifying the move from Novell to AD

From: Christopher Jones <Christopher.Jones () UFV CA>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:10:45 -0800

Thank you to everyone who responded to my query about justifying the move from Novell to AD.  It's interesting to note
that a number of us have completed such a project, or are about to embark upon one.  It's also interesting to note that
our reasons for doing so are quite similar.  Few people would probably disagree that eDirectory is the more mature,
more secure directory system. At the end of the day, one of the biggest drivers for us to consolidate on AD is cost of
licensing - we simply don't want continue shouldering the expense of maintaining eDirectory and AD.  With our network
becoming increasingly Microsoft-centric, our direction appears to be set.

If anyone else has any sage advice or documentation used to support the move to AD, I would appreciate hearing from you
offline.  Thanks.

Christopher Jones
IT Security Administrator
University of the Fraser Valley