Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Filtering outgoing email

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:40:51 -0500

At 07:00 AM 6/23/2009, Kellogg, Brian D. put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
We've been the victim of a phishing scam that made it through our
incoming spam filter.  The phisher used the compromised accounts to send
spam via Outlook Web Access.  Just wondering what inexpensive/reliable
methods others are using to filter outbound email and catch any accounts
showing a huge volume of outbound spam.  Thanks...

What we have begun to do is sen our outbound mail through our Sophos
box.  Right now we're doing it for selected domains.  The reason we're
not doing everything as yet, is that we use Sophos for our inbound
spam solution, and we allow our users to set (for example) white lists,
or opt out.  It turns out if a user has a .forward, their user selected
options won't be honored on their outbound messages.  Basically, we need
to work out some policy issues.

All that being said, the outbound Sophos scanning works fine.  It just
saved us from one of our phishing victims this week.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.