Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Filtering outgoing email

From: "Irish, Adrian L" <Adrian.Irish () MSO UMT EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:04:38 -0600

We're also filtering using this list, but for the outgoing filter, we quarantine the messages and I verify each and
every one of them.  When I see messages in which the person gave up their credentials, they get some "one on one"
training from my office.

One word of caution about using this list.  Legitimate e-mail addresses do wind up on this list (not just hotmail or
live.com addresses).  We recently had an incident in which an nih.gov address ended up on the list.  I detected the
issue when one of our research faculty's messages to that person started showing up in the quarantine.  I was able to
talk to the person at NIH and verify that their account had been secured, and we then removed the address from the
list, but if we had not been quarantining and checking the messages, it would have taken much longer to detect that
problem (and we would have ended up with a very angry faculty member).

Adrian Irish
IT Security Officer
The University of Montana
SS 126D