Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Antivirus warnings from Windows Security Center

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:21:25 -0400

Hi,

Our desktop support folks are considering turning off anti-virus
monitoring by the Windows Security Center due to false reports
of anti-virus problems that confuse computer users.

We're running Symantec Corporate Ediction 10.x and when the
computers first start the WSC will pop up saying anti-virus
isn't operating and/or definitions are out of date.

Have you seen similar behavior? Do you have a confirmed
explanation? One explanation I saw for the startup message
was that the user is allowed to login before all Symantec
services are started.
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-antivirus-101-corporate-edition

Did you take any action such as disabling WSC monitoring of AV
software? I kind of like the dual monitoring but I have to admit
any malware worth its salt is going to disable both WSC and AV
if it runs with privilege.

thanks,

--
Gary Flynn