Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus warnings from Windows Security Center

From: "Harry E Flowers (flowers)" <flowers () MEMPHIS EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:29:14 -0500

I think this is the approach you need to take... Symantec AV Corporate Edition has been incredibly weak for the last
few years - with version 11, they switched to their consumer product AV engine, and the protection is reportedly much,
much better.  I'd consider the warnings for running older versions to be real, not a problem with Windows Security
Center.
The last breach we had here (a few years ago) was *caused* by SAV (they had patched the problem before the exploit hit,
but their control center reported that the clients were patched when in fact they were still vulnerable - there was the
bug for the managed systems exploit, the bug in pushing out the updates, and the bug in reporting the correct version
of the client that combined to hurt us).  We'd have been better off running nothing.  Needless to say, we haven't been
relying on SAV for our servers since then.  Even though version 11 brings them back into the game, we'll probably stick
with what we're using now on the server side of things.
--
Harry Flowers
Manager, Systems Software