Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus warnings from Windows Security Center

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:43:50 -0500

At 10:21 AM 4/13/2009, Gary Flynn put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Our desktop support folks are considering turning off anti-virus
monitoring by the Windows Security Center due to false reports
of anti-virus problems that confuse computer users.

We're running Symantec Corporate Ediction 10.x and when the
computers first start the WSC will pop up saying anti-virus
isn't operating and/or definitions are out of date.

I see the same thing, although it hasn't been a concern here.  (yet)
The message does go away fairly quickly.

Personally, although I realize that WSC's monitoring is of limited use,
it does serve as one more reminder about the status of the anti-viral
software.

How big a problem is this?

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.