Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Threat Discovery - antivirus scanning

From: "Daly, Douglas" <DDALY () NYMC EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:36:20 -0400

We are looking to replace our Fortigate 1000 (it's being over-run - see my post on the Fortigate from last week). I am
a fan of the company's product but it seems that to replace this appliance in our environment would require their 3600
series and the cost to purchase is going to be nearly $50,000 and the subscription service will increase our operations
budget significantly too. If we are going to have to move into this cost range, I want to be sure we are considering
other options.

Does anyone have any experience with other vendors they would recommend? We are specifically looking for anti-virus
scanning in the primary data stream to and from the internet. We would like it to scan as much of the data as possible
(http, smtp, etc) and it must not use the Trend Micro Engine. That would be redundant.

Regards,
Doug

Douglas Daly | Associate Director Technical Services | New York Medical College | Valhalla, NY 10595 | Office:
914.594.4961