Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Smartphone Policies.

From: Connie Sadler <csadler11 () GMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:36:44 -0700

We are developing a Smartphone policy. But I'll tell you, the iPhones are
scary - we cannot technically do anything (that I am aware of) to stop
people from connecting and syncing up their mail. In fact, there is an app
for the full Exchange client now. There are also a lot of other apps that
are being pulled down to personally-owned iPhones that are connected to our
network. I have to say, I work in an academic medical center, so it's very
difficult to tell clinicians what they can and cannot do with their personal
devices on our network (trust me - it's not easy).

There are some new products working to address this risk. With more
employees taking their iPhones to work, IT departments are scrambling to
figure out a way to manage them. The iPhone, unlike the BlackBerry, started
out as a consumer device and still lacks some management and security
features that corporations have come to expect from other mobile devices.
Now, a number of software companies including Good
Technology<http://www.good.com/corp/index.php>,
Sybase <http://www.sybase.com/> and Tangoe <http://www.tangoe.com/> are
stepping in to fill that void. Is anyone looking at these solutions??

http://www.good.com/corp/int_products.php?id=good_mobile_control_iphone&pid=good_for_enterprise

http://www.sybase.com/ianywhere

http://www.tangoe.com/managed-services/mobile-services/mobile-device-management.html

We're also quickly moving to a more "blended" work/life environment - and
people (like it or not) are going to expect to be able to get to personal
data from work and they want to use personal devices for both - we're going
to have to find ways to enable it.

--
Connie

Connie Sadler