Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Websense alternatives?

From: Steven M Werby/FS/VCU <smwerby () VCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:56:49 -0400

Ben Williams <Ben.Williams () DAVENPORT EDU>
We utilize Websense web security for URL filtering. For the
categories we filter we display a warning about the content and
allow the user to continue, the only exception being dangerous
malware which is simply blocked.

What alternatives to Websense are you using?

Ben, we haven't implemented web content filtering, but we used Blue Coat
WebFilter at the government agency where I worked before I returned to VCU
last year.  We blocked ~25 of ~65 content categories.  The system worked
well and Blue Coat provided very good support.  Our IT was very
centralized and the system had good integration with AD so it scaled well
enough for us to effectively implement for 11,000 users across 200
business units.  I shudder to think about the volume of exception requests
we'd receive if we implemented a similar solution blocking so many
categories at VCU though!

--
Steve Werby
Information Security Officer