Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Smartphone Policies.

From: Adam Carlson <ajcarlson () BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 13:12:27 -0700

I would be cautious about completely relying on the remote wipe
capabilities of the iPhone.  I have not tried any of this myself, but
the claims of this book and the associated workshop scare me quite a
bit (and O'Reilly is a name I trust):

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596153588/
http://www.zdziarski.com/forensics_workshop/

In particular, here are a few of the things this book/workshop will
teach you how to do:

"Interrupt iPhone 3G's "secure wipe" process"
"Recover deleted voicemail, images, email, and other personal data,
using data carving techniques"
"(Recover) Keyboard caches containing usernames, passwords, search
terms, and historical fragments of typed communication. "

and more...

While a remote wipe capability is a nice feature that should be used
when possible, it does not come close to affording the same level of
protection as disk-based encryption using strong passwords.  As a
result, I would be wary of protecting data classified as highly
confidential solely with the iPhone's remote-wipe capabilities.

Chris Green wrote:
I believe that the Harvard Medical Center supports the iPhone very well (per  http://geekdoctor.blogspot.com/.  The
full exchange client on the iPhone can be an advantage.  Since the iPhone supports active sync, on Exchange 2007 the
active sync “reset your phone” switch becomes an OWA accessible feature.   Lock your phone and if you lose it, go
remotely wipe it yourself.

That’s a pretty sexy sales pitch to a clinician and it covers the lost device component.  Smartphones are in our
sights as something we have to manage (and the AT&T isn’t our winning bidder) but it does seem to give a reasonable
way to address some of the risks of the technology.  Change from saying no to saying “here’s the way to make it work
and here’s the secret button to remember when you leave it in a cab”.    It also helps address the “work versus
personal” phone thing because people do find ways to make their job doable or more productive.

Same line of thinking for BlackBerry but use the BES rather than the desktop connector so some of the risks can be
managed.