Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Conflicker/NMAP

From: Dennis Meharchand <dennis () VALTX COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:08:16 -0400

I agree - re: patching - I've just got stuck in my head that the purpose of
any real time executable is to become persistent by infecting the boot
image.

The link to the article I referred to re: stats on known malware tests is
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/loginMembersOnly/1,289498,sid14_gci1280
028,00.html

Registration is necessary to get access.

In Canada we also had a major story on the weekend regarding Ghostnet -
targeted computers infected with spyware at embassies and NATO - apparent
link back to China. Apparently endpoint security was only able to detect 11
of 100 vectors. Here is a link to the GhostNet story at the Globe and Mail
(made front page in Canada):
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090329.wcomputerspy0329
/BNStory/Technology/home

CBS 60 minutes also had a Conficker piece out on Sunday: Here is a link to
the 60 minutes video an ad by Symantec plays before the video starts:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4901282n

Dennis Meharchand

CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.

Cell: 416-618-4622