Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

BlueCoat with McAfee or Kaspersky Malware Engines

From: Mark Rogowski <m.rogowski () UWINNIPEG CA>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:48:17 -0600

We were at a seminar recently where the vendor was pitching the BlueCoat appliance(s) as a potential Anti Malware
replacement for our existing FortiGate unit.  To date, FortiGate has been letting through more and more "stuff" and
Trend OfficeScan on the desktops have had trouble dealing with a lot of it.

I know that BlueCoat offers either McAfee or Kaspersky scan engines for malware scanning.  I would love to hear from
folks running BlueCoat (or said engines on other products) how effective they are.

Thanks a bunch,

Mark Rogowski  CISSP, CISM
IT Security
Technology Solutions Centre