Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

electronic signatures

From: "Youngquist, Jason R." <jryoungquist () CCIS EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:36:41 -0600

We are investigating what we need to do in order to be in compliance
with the E-Sign Act/UETA, so we can start accepting electronic
signatures by students.  For schools that have done this, could you
please tell me how you implemented your solution?  For example, when
generating a student's account, could we also generate a random PIN
which would be their "electronic signature" and send this through email?
[though email is inherently insecure].  Since we have a number of
on-line students all over the globe, the solution needs to be 100%
electronic.  If we sent out a letter through the mail to an on-line
student with their random PIN by the time they received the letter their
on-line course may be well under way .

Thanks.

Jason Youngquist

Information Technology Security Engineer

Technology Services

Columbia College

1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO  65216

(573) 875-7334