Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: electronic signatures

From: "Harris, Michael C." <HarrisMC () HEALTH MISSOURI EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:50:12 -0600

Hi neighbor,

I think I sent you my e-signature 21 CFR 11 blob of junk, right?  It is
the FDA guideline but is the document most federal grant and other
(state) agencies reference as the standard for electronic signature...

There is some ambiguity surrounding 21 CFR 11 regarding the electronic
signature standard it has been re-drafted but not yet approved or
published in the Federal Register. I believe it is possible to satisfy
the intent or best practice by following the security measures of the
"underlying predicate" rules. Interpretation may be somewhat relaxed
from the original according to the 5667 document below as per the
"narrow interpretation" described. Above all have your legal council
review what you come up with.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/5667fnl.htm

http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/5505dft.pdf
(draft FDA guidance, not yet approved, general rewrite of above)

generalized 21 CFR 11 documents

http://www.fda.gov/ora/compliance_ref/part11

http://www.fda.gov/ora/compliance_ref/part11/FRs/background/pt11finr.pdf

Hope that helps. Good luck this is a thorny area

Mike