Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: BlueCoat with McAfee or Kaspersky Malware Engines

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:06:42 -0500

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:29:36 CST, Mark Rogowski said:
Interesting.  Thanks for this.  Kinda ironic isn't it; the most effective
sanner comes from a country that has the highest hacking rate in the world

Not at all surprising.  It's long been known that hospital ERs get *really
good* at whatever the local highest-incidence problem is.  I recently ended up
at Pocahontas Memorial Hospital (with all of 25 beds total), in the Middle Of
Nowhere, West Virginia, with a dislocated shoulder.  I asked the doctor
treating me how experienced he was at it, and he said "Probably thousands.
Heck, you're the sixth one today".  Why? Because Pocahontas is the closest ER
to one of the biggest snow resorts in West Virginia, and the vast majority of
their traffic is winter snowboarders (and the occasional skier) and summer BMX
bikers who crash.

Fortunately, I was Yet Another Snowboarder - I'd not have wanted to end up
there if I was having a stroke.  And similarly, I'm not aware of many
best-of-breed ERP packages coming from the land of Kaspersky.