Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: BlueCoat with McAfee or Kaspersky Malware Engines

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:53:28 +1300

On 17/01/2009, at 4:07 AM, Stanclift, Michael wrote:

We use McAfee Enterprise on our desktops and have been consistently
disappointed with its levels of detection. However, Kaspersky has an
engine superior to nearly everyone else on the market and both in my
use and in testing it's rated to have one of the best detection
rates in the industry.

I think you will find that all AV products are having trouble keeping
up now. We use Nod32 and have noticed an increasing failure rate over
the past few months.  Malware is now changing so frequently that AV
vendors are struggling to keep up and once the malware get installed
it then protects itself so that the AV never finds it (root kits) or
hooks itself into Windows so that AV can not remove the files because
they are held open by the OS.

I would suggest that changing your AV vendor will not solve this
problem.

Russell