Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL Certificates

From: Doug Hoffman <dhoffman () BLOOMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:18:03 -0400

I've noticed that Opera (any platform) and Windows Mobile don't trust
ipsCA's root cert, as well.

Another downside to ipsCA is that their certs are chained - this may not
work well with certain servers and/or clients. One thing we've run in to
is lack of support for using chained certs with web auth on Cisco's WLAN
controllers.

We primarily use Thawte's SPKI for our certs, the exception being
non-production servers where we will temporarily use ipsCA certs.
Thawte's certs are unchained, signed directly off of Thawte's root cert
(so they play well will anything), and we have yet to find any client
that doesn't have their root cert in the trusted CA list. Their price
isn't great, but we don't have to worry about any compatibility issues.

:: Doug Hoffman, Network and Systems Administrator ::
:::::: Office of Technology / Network Services ::::::
::::::: Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania :::::::
::::::: +1.570.389.4759 / dhoffman () bloomu edu :::::::

Eric Torgersen wrote:
In addition to the root CA expiration issue, I have noticed that Java
doesn't ship with IPSCA included as a trusted CA.  This can be an issue
for a Java applet that makes an SSL connection back to the web server.

Eric

     Eric Torgersen        Information Technology Services
Unix System Administrator  The University @ Albany
     eric () albany edu       1400 Washington Ave
     (518) 437-3665        Albany, NY 12222